I’m taking a cue from Mamie and listing ten things that I say (often multiple times in a day) over the course of my professional life.
1. Less talking, more writing!
2. I don’t know; what do YOU think?
3. You know I can hear you whispering, right?
4. ONE butt to a chair, please.
5. Did you REALLY just say that out loud and in front of witnesses?
6. ….AND….? Give me more!
7. Oh, DO quit your whining. You have to do ONE homework assignment; your teachers have to grade and enter them ALL….
8. If you don’t ask, the answer is always ‘no’.
9. Stop saying “like” (this usually renders them temporarily speechless, often amusingly so).
10. You know I love you, right? (usually uttered before the delivery of some form of verbal smack down).
I discovered the other day that some of my freshmen are keeping a running log of the things that I say that they think are funny. I know for sure that they copied down “I need to take up coffee… or maybe rum,” the other day, which was my response to their being completely wound up and uncontrollable at 8:00 on a Monday morning. When the list gets to ten, I’ll publish them for you; I think you’ll be surprised by some of the things that get said in my classroom…